The Dental Assistant Certification Process
In the state of Arizona, certification is required to process patient X-rays. We recommended that after students have successfully completed the radiology course and lab, they take the Radiation Health and Safety exam offered by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB). When passed, the RHS credential will allow students, externs, and/or graduates to legally expose radiographs in the state of Arizona. Certification enhances the resume and gives students an advantage by making them more marketable in their future careers as Dental Assistants.
The path to Dental Assistant certification can be completed in conjunction with Dental Assisting training at Arizona College. There are two phases of Dental Assistant certification in the state of Arizona. These can be completed during the completion of the Dental Assisting training program at Arizona College.
With help from Arizona College, the process can be completed as follows:
- Students will be able to test for the Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) certification after completing the Radiology Course and Lab
- Students will be able to test for the Infection Control (ICE) certification after completing the Infection Control Course and Lab
Students may apply for the exam(s) through the Dental Assisting Program at Arizona College or on the Dental Assisting National Board’s (DANB) website.
- It is important to note that fees are due with the exam application.
- Expect 3 to 4 weeks for the exam application to be processed. Once approved, the student will receive a testing notice to sign up at a local testing center.
- Students can purchase study outlines and practice examinations by visiting the DANB website.
- After testing, an unofficial pass/fail report will be provided, and the official results will be mailed in 3 to 4 weeks.
- The General Chairside Exam (GC), an additional certification that can be attained, is available to students after they have completed a minimum of two years’ experience in the field.
How much will each step cost?
- If the RHS/ICE examinations are taken together, the application fee is $250.
- If the two exams are taken separately, each exam is $175.
- The General Chairside exam fee is $200.
The Dental Assisting National Board will review applicants who have felonies or misdemeanors on a case-by-case basis.
We invite you to visit our campus, take a tour and learn more about our school and our Dental Assisting program. Do you have questions on how to start your rewarding Dental Assisting education? Complete a form to receive more information from an Arizona College representative and start on the path to fulfilling your dream of receiving a diploma in Dental Assisting. Change Lives, Choose Arizona College!