The Medical Assistant Certification Process
Certification for Medical Assisting is not required. However, we recommend that our graduates become certified as a way to enhance their resume, and provide additional validation of the knowledge they have gained. Each graduate is eligible to be certified as a Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) by American Medical Technologists and as a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) by the American Association of Medical Assistants.
American Medical Technologist’s website has a Student Certification Process outline and guide. The process for certification by the American Medical Technologists organization is as follows:
- The graduate obtains the application (can be found on the website).
- The graduate completes the online application and pays application fee.
- The graduate schedules the exam.
- Study! Students can obtain study outlines and practice examinations by visiting the AMT website.
- Take the examination.
- Pass the examination.
- Look for Certificate and Membership information in the mail.
- Once certification is obtained, the graduate may include information about this certification on their resume when applying to medical assisting positions.
How much will each step cost?
- American Medical Technologists – $100 application fee.
- American Association of Medical Assistants – $125 application fee.
The certifying body will determine on a case-by-case basis whether the applicant will be allowed to receive their license or sit for their certification exam if the applicant has any felonies or misdemeanors.
After achieving certification, you can start applying to jobs and working with our career services department. By including your certification information on your resume you can increase earning potential, open the door to more opportunities for career advancement, and potentially increase job mobility and options.
Arizona College’s Medical Assisting training program provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experience they need to obtain certification and start their careers. Learn more about our Medical Assistant training program today!