A career in nursing is not only personally rewarding but also critically important to the healthcare system. Registered Nurses (RNs) play a vital role in patient care, making a real difference in people’s lives every day. As you think about a nursing career, it’s important to understand the job opportunities in Tempe, Arizona. In this post, we’ll cover the nursing job market and salary trends for the area.
What is a Registered Nurse (RN)?
A Registered Nurse (RN) is a healthcare professional who has completed a nursing program and passed the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX). RNs work in a variety of healthcare settings, providing and coordinating patient care, educating patients about health conditions, and offering advice and emotional support to patients and their families.
Nursing Salary in Tempe, Arizona
If you’re thinking about a career in nursing, it’s important to understand your potential earnings in the Phoenix metropolitan area, which includes Tempe. Here’s a breakdown of the key points, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- Average Hourly Wage: Registered Nurses in the area earn a mean hourly wage of $42.03. This figure is a good indicator of what new RNs can hope to earn. However, salaries can vary based on factors such as experience, specialization, and the specific healthcare setting.
- Average Annual Wage: When translated to an annual salary, the mean wage for RNs in the Phoenix- area is $87,410. This figure is based on full-time employment and can vary based on the number of hours worked, as well as other factors.
- Top Percentile Earnings: For those in the top percentiles of the profession, the earning potential can be even higher. Registered Nurses in the 90th percentile earn an hourly wage of $50.76, which amounts to an annual wage of $105,580. This demonstrates the potential for salary growth as RNs gain experience and advance in their careers.
These figures underscore the financial reward of a career in nursing. However, it’s important to remember that nursing is about more than just earning potential. It’s a rewarding career that offers the opportunity to help real people in need.
Nursing Job Market in Tempe, Arizona
The Phoenix metropolitan area, which includes Tempe, is home to a robust nursing job market. Here’s a closer look at the key points:
- Number of Registered Nurses: The area is home to approximately 40,240 Registered Nurses, making it an excellent place for aspiring nurses to start their careers.
- Employment per 1000 jobs: For every 1000 nursing jobs, there are about 18 registered nurses in the area. This data further shows how in-demand nurses are in the healthcare field.
- Nursing Assistants, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Licensed Vocational Nurses: In addition to Registered Nurses, the area also employs about 11,200 Nursing Assistants and 4,320 Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses. The much lower employment numbers point to the preference that many healthcare institutions have for registered nurses.
These points highlight the promising job market for nursing professionals in the Tempe area. A career in nursing not only offers a stable and rewarding profession but also the opportunity to work in many different fields and specialties.
How Our Tempe, Arizona Nursing School Can Help
At the Arizona College of Nursing – Tempe campus, we’re dedicated to helping our students enter this rewarding field. Our 3-year accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program provides the skills and training you need to start a successful nursing career.
A career in nursing offers the opportunity to care and connect with patients while also providing stable and rewarding work. The data shows that Tempe, Arizona, expects to see strong growth for Registered Nurses in the healthcare field in the coming years. At the Arizona College of Nursing – Tempe campus, we’re here to help you take the first step towards this fulfilling career.
If you’re ready to start your journey in nursing, we invite you to learn more about our Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics for Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ, May 2022 https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_38060.htm
Information in this blog post is accurate as of July 17, 2023.